Saturday, March 15, 2008

Turning 21.....

In a few short months, my oldest daughter will be turning 21. I've been thinking about that and remembering when I turned 21....just a few short years ago. I can dream, can't I? To be honest, I didn't think it was such a big deal. I really thought 30, 40, 50 & 60 would be bigger deals....especially now since I'm staring at 60 in a little more than 4 years. When you're 21, you think you may never see 60 or that it's so far away. It really is, but believe me, it arrives sooner than you think.

Twenty-one is just a number. A legal number more than anything else. It doesn't change your relationship with your parents....unless they're wanting you to move out. It doesn't change your friends...those younger or older than you. Nothing really has to change. I think when you're younger, say in high school, you usually have friends around your own age. But as you get out of high school, move into college and beyond, you gain friends of all ages. Those friends can bring experiences that can enrich your life, that you can learn from. Strangely enough, your parents can become your "friends". There's an old saying, that "the older you get, the more like your parents you become." Just you wait.....

Turning twenty one can also bring conflict, if you let it. Am I suppose to act a certain way now? I'm legal now, I can be wild & free....um, no...just continue to be who you are. Hopefully a respectful, honest & caring person...the same person you were just 24 hours ago, before the big birthday party, cake and presents. The same person you'll be tomorrow....twenty one plus one day.

I turn 56 on the 22nd. Would I go back to 21? Heck no. I love my life with my hubby and precious children. And cherish my life with my family and friends. My twenties held too much drama, as many do. The trick is to make it to 30....and the big surprise party....:) That's where it pays to keep your family and friends close thru the years!

Happy Birthday....to anyone celebrating!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen
Thanks fo sharing
Kathy