Monday, March 10, 2008

MegaCon...Megawhat???

On Saturday, the hubby and I took the birthday girl and 4 of her friends to MegaCon, a huge convention in Orlando for the comic book world. Hubby didn't want to go, but I wasn't going alone. I wanted to "share" this lovely time with him....:) Oh,boy, what a time it was. We waited 2 hours for tickets but spent the time just people watching...people that come dressed up in their favorite characters from Anime (Japanese), Star Wars, Mario & Luigi, Superman and much more. The costumes for the most part were quite creative, ranging from homemade to probably 2-3 hundred.



This was a Star Wars group photo taken last year. But they were all here, including Darth Vader, Jabba the Hut and more.



Once inside the convention floor, there were vendors everywhere selling every comic book you could think of. It was fun to see ones I used to read when I was a kid. There were also toys, costumes, swords, books, you name it...it was there. I stood and watched some illustrators draw and talked with a couple of authors. The drawings weren't something that I would purchase but I did appreciate the talent and detail that went into the drawings. There were seminars you could attend, relating to illustrating, gaming etc. Learn how to sword fight or play games with/against others, get autographs of various "stars" and just do a lot of walking around. I can see how some people could spend all three days there but three hours was long enough for us.

Not sure what show or book he is in...but this cow was there and wanted his photo taken...so we obliged!

Well, MegaCon came and went. The girls had fun and now we can mark this off our list of things to do in life.....:)

2 comments:

Brittany said...

I've never heard of this convention before but it looks like fun!

Happy Birthday, Sarah!

Pat said...

I hadn't either until Sarah went to one in Tampa last year. Apparently quite smaller than this one. This was biggest in the SE and based on the crowds very popular with fans and collectors.