Sunday, January 27, 2008

Where do you stand?

Where do you stand.....with others in your life? I thought about this especially after hearing about Heath Ledger's death. No big fan, but sad that at 28 his life is over. He leaves a grieving family, a precious daughter that will never know him except in photos, thru family and in movies. What unfinished business did he leave, relationships that could be mended (maybe with the ex-fiancee)...where did he stand in his life?

Did you hear about the 5 young men that died in Ocala, FL this weekend? They were speeding down a private runway that John Travolta uses. The runway ends after 1 1/2 miles but the car didn't stop or drop to the ground below. It went airborne for 200 feet before slamming into a tree, 15 ft above ground. Young lives ended in a flash, so much ahead of them, so much promise....where did they stand?

After our mother died from Alzheimers, my sister and I knew where we stood with her. Everything that could be said was, moments shared, laughs shared, just sitting and enjoying each others company. We knew where we stood with her....and that is a comforting feeling.

My father-inlaw died before I was able to say goodbye. But he knew that I loved him, there was no unfinished business and no distance between us. That is even more so a comforting feeling.

Things like this tend to give you a new perspective on life and where you stand with others in your life. I can honestly say that I have no enemies, people that I dislike (except for those who would want to harm our country). Family knows that I love them with all of my heart, friends also.

So I ask...where do you stand with others in your life....with family....with a friend? Broken bridges can be mended, words forgotten....all it takes is one step forward to help the mending...life is short, time is precious.....and it waits for no one.....

No comments: