Thursday, January 31, 2008

Love your children.....hold them close....

Working in Special Ed, you see all kinds of students with issues. Those that need assistance with their classwork and tests, those with emotional problems that need direction and those born with physical & mental impairments....my favorite students. I worked on a student's file yesterday that as a mother, just broke my heart. She came in last week and will probably be going to another school next week....once again.

Mary, I'll call her, was born into a family with major issues. The parents had years of legal problems for drug use & addiction , family issues so sad that I won't mention them here. Homeless at one point. I believe her mother died recently. Before she came to us, she had never been in a regular public school, always behavior centers or in alternative education. And I'm talking since elementary school.

Mary has severe mental and emotional problems. It makes me wonder if being born into this family circle brought her problems on or did her own genetic makeup cause her downward spiral. I just don't know. I do know that this child is lost. She always wanted to leave a center to return to a "happy home". Mary had big dreams that just continued to turn into nightmares.

I don't know what the future holds for Mary. If she'll follow in the paths of her parents or find a program that will eventually save her. But I will continue to pray for her and others like her.

If you have children....give them a big hug if you can, knowing that they are truly loved, cared for and safe. Pray for your children daily that they grow up to be loving adults with caring hearts.

Have a blessed night.....

1 comment:

Pat said...

"Mary" did indeed move on, I'm not sure where she will end up. But I know I won't forget her or her sad life anytime soon.